Casa del Herrero
Mission Statement

The mission of the Casa del Herrero is to maintain, preserve and restore the house, furnishings, gardens and history of the Steedman/Bass estate for the benefit of the community, visiting public, scholars, educators and students.

History of the Casa del Herrero

The Steedmans’ daughter Medora, who lived at the estate from 1977 until her death ten years later, was determined that the Casa be preserved as a representation of the arts and excellence in design, and to have it kept as a museum and a place of “worthwhile use.” Pursuant to this wish, her son George Bass assumed responsibility for Casa del Herrero until it was organized as a not-for-profit 501 (c) 3 in 1993 and endowed by the George and Medora Bass family. That same year, a Conditional Use Permit was obtained from the County of Santa Barbara for operation of the estate. The Foundation manages the Casa in accordance with the County’s guidelines, which limit tour visitors and activities.

Funding is derived from income on the endowment, grants, donations, fundraising events, rental properties, tour admissions, and membership fees.

Links of Interest

The Cultural Landscape Foundation
National Park Service
National Historic Landmark Nomination photos

 

 

Casa del Herrero

2013 Board of Trustees

Officers
Laura M. Bridley, President
Bobbie Kinnear, Vice President
Henry Nevins, Treasurer
Jane Dailey, Secretary
Robert E. Williams

Trustees
Marc Appleton
Sharon Bradford
Jane Defnet
Albert P. Hinckley, Jr.
Susan Jackson
Neil Korpinen
Hilary B. Niemann
Annalisa Hinckley Savin
Barbara Smith
Steve Thompson
Katherine Pharibe Wise
Cheryl Ziegler

Advisor
Lindsay Shinn

Founding Trustee: George Steedman Bass

Executive Director: Molly F. Barker

 
©2013 Casa del Herrero Foundation
1387 East Valley Road, Santa Barbara, CA  93108
Phone - 805-565-5653 Fax - 805-969-2371
Contact Us | Site Map